Size: 40 x 30 in
Medium: oil on canvas
Description: Ghost Ranch was an area where cattle rustlers in the 1800’s hid their stolen cattle in its canyons. They spread the rumor that that land was haunted by evil witches, and soon the place was known as the Ranch of the Witches, in time it evolved into Ghost Ranch. This was to discourage anyone from investigating the area and finding out about their stolen cattle.
Now the area is more notoriously known as the home of Georgia O’Keefe.
Note the many “cattle brands” from the various pilfered herds in the painting.